New Guinea Rifles -

New Guinea Volunteer Rifles - 1939



Together with the United Stated Forces participating, BREWER FORCE was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation by the President of the United States of America for exceptionally outstanding performances of Duty on LOS NEGROS during the period 29 Feb - 4 Mar 1944.
THE NGVR became the only Australian unit in World War 2 to be awarded this Decoration.

The History of the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles is very interesting.So I hope this Site intrigues you.

It can be noted that this Unit was the only Australian Unit to be formed and disbanded in the Territory of New Guinea and was the only Australian Unit to NEVER set foot on the Australian Mainland.

These are taken from Records held in National Archives of Australia - Series J 2810 R707/1/1.

FORMATION of the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles

In mid September 1939, LtCol John WALSTAB, (Reserve of Officers, Australian Military Forces [AMF]) and Superintendant of Police in the Mandated Territory of New Guinea, returned to Rabaul from Australia as GSO2 with authority from AHQ Canberra to form with the Territory of New Guinea a Volunteer Defence Unit to be known as the NEW GUINEA VOLUNTEER RIFLES.

The Force was to be a component of the AMF under Operational Command of the 8th Military District (8MD) located in Port Moresby, Papua.

8MD Headquarters comprised -
COMMANDANT - QX50083 LtCol Neville Gordon HATTON.
The Brigade Major and Staff Captain were officers of the Australian Staff Corps.


(a) RABAUL - Battalion Headquarters; 1 x Rifle Company; 1 x Vickers Machine Gun Platoon; and a Medical Detachment.
(b) KOKOPO - 1 x Rifle Platoon and a Regimental Aid Post.

(a) WAU - Battalion 2nd in Command (2IC); 1 x Rifle Company; 1 x Vickers Machine Gun Company.
(b) BULOLO - A Medical Detachment.

LAE/SALAMAUA/MADANG - Headquarters LAE; 1 x Rifle Company and a Vickers Machine Gun Platoon.

KAVIENG - 1x Rifle Platoon (This was never Raised).

There was no provision for detachments at any other centres in the Territory.

AUTHORISED STRENGTH of the Unit was approximately 480 all ranks.

BASIC ROLE of NGVR was Beach Defence Against Raiders at Coastal Centres. eg. RABAUL; KOKOPO; LAE; SALAMAUA; MADANG and KAVIENG.
WAU/BULOLO in addition to support on mainland Coastal Detachments had the Role of Defence of the Goldfields Area in event of enemy penetration to that Area.

WEAPONS comprised VICKERS and LEWIS Guns (of World War 1 Vintage); and .303 Rifles with Bayonets. There were no Mortars, Grenades or other Infantry Weapons.

EQUIPMENT consisted of Leather Belts and Bandoliers; Water Bottles; Packs; Haversacks and Water-proof Capes.

CLOTHING comprised Khaki Drill Shirts; Shorts; Puttees; Boots and Gaiters; Slouch Hat with Trousers and Blue forage Cap with red piping for night wear. The Rising Sun Badge (AMF) emblem was worn with headdress and Brass NGVR insigna on shirts and tunics. Uniforms etc were Made to Measure, by Chinese Tailors at the various centres, from material supplied by the Army clothing Factories in Australia. The cost was provided from Army Funds. Heavy Army Greatcoats were the first Supplies received by the Unit from Australia. They were returned forthwith to Source of supply as Surplus to Unit Requirements, for obvious reasons.

REGIMENTAL NUMBERS were allotted on the Block system, ie. RABAUL 1-300; etc. There were no prefix letter to the Regimental Numbers.

ENLISTMENTS were first attested at the mainland centres by Col WALSTAB en route to Rabaul via those areas a few days before first enlistments at Rabaul which occurred on 19th or 20th September 1939. The response of the young and not so young able-bodied men was immediate and enthusiastic in every centre where detachments were formed. Within 10 days 200 Volunteers were attested at Rabaul alone. The response from other centres were just as enthusiastic. Close to 600 Territory Residents enlisted with the NGVR but at no time did the Effective strangth exceed 350. This was due to the constant discharge of personnel of all ranks for enlisting in the AIF either in Australia or with one of the many detachments which left the Territory for that purpose, with NGX numbers. With the exception of Officials of the District Services Department of the Territory - who for some unknown reason did not join the NGVR - the Unit was representative of a splendid cross-section of the community of the Territory.

The following initial appointments were made from the Reserve of Offficers -
Commanding Officer - Maj (LtCol) Charles ROSS-FIELD.
2nd in Command (2IC)- Maj (Capt) Harold TAYLOUR.
Adjutant - VX108390 Lt (LtCol)John Charles MULLALY.
Officer Commanding, (OC) A Company - NG4053 Lt (Capt) John Harold McKenzie EDWARDS. DCM/MC/MM (World War 1) (Deceased 1 July 1942 aboard MONTEVIDEO MARU as a Civilian) and Lt (Aussie) GRAY.
Officer Commanding, (OC) B Company - Capt (Maj) C. DUCHATCH and Capt Carl GUNTHER and NG2017 Lt (Maj) Edmund William JENYNS. MID
Regimental Medical Officers - NG4054 Maj Norman Bennington WATCH; NX12261 Capt (Maj) Phillip James WOODHILL and NG3000 Lt (Capt) Claude Geoffrey KILNER.

Early in 1940 NG2000 Sgt William Manning EDWARDS was promoted to Lieut OC Coastal Detachment. (Later in the War he was appointed to CO (LtCol) 1 New Guinea Infantry Battalion and on Formation of the Pacific Islands Regiment (PIR) at end of 1944 was appointed its First Commanding Officer (Colonel).

In Jan 1940, Lt John Charles MULLALY was appointed Adjutant and Quartermaster of Unit pending the availability of a Staff Corps Officer for that appointment (None eventuated).

It may be of interest to personnel of the PNGVR to know that later in the War the initial Adjutant of the NGVR as then CO of the Depot Battalion, PIR was Parade Commander of the first Royal Review ever to be held in Papua or New Guinea. The occasion was the visit to the Depot at NADZAB in June 1945 of HRH the Duke of Gloucester who reviewed the Unit which, a few weeks later, became 3 New Guinea Infantry Battalion. HRH visited the Royal Papuan Constabulary at LAE two days later.

About August or September 1940 after six or seven weeks of intensive training (in the conduct of which the Unit had been greatly assisted by two Australian Instructional Corps (AIC) Instructors who were allocated in June 1940 from Australia - WO2 UMPHELBY (Maj) and "Barney" BARNARD (Capt) - the following personnel were appointed to commissioned Rank as Lieuts with the Unit -
NG4029 Rifleman (Rfn) James Clarence ARCHER (Rabaul).
Sgt Bob LANE;
NGX120 Sgt Henry (Harry)Thomas WYATT
NG1006 Sgt Gordon RUSSELL (Coastal Detachment)and
Sgt MAINWARING (Goldfields).
Sgt Ian McLEARN and
NG506 Sgt Hugh McMillan LYON (later Maj, 2IC; 1 NGIB) also qualified.

BATTALION HQ was set up in a small bungalow at the corner of Casuarina Avenue and Kamerere Street, Rabaul at the end of Sep 1939.. It contained also the Armoury and Q-Store. A splendid Parade Ground with Training Huts and Equipment Stores was established in the Botanical Gardens within a matter of a few days. An excellant Rifle Range for Rifle, Lewis and Vickers Machine Gun practice was made in the Lakunai-Matupa Farm area. Simple Tactical Exercises were carried out also in this area and elsewhere. Corresponding set-ups were established at Goldfields and Mainland Coastal Areas. Training Parades were held on Tuesday evenings and during weekends. They were attended with regularity and enthusiasm which did not wane. Army Forms in abundance soon reached the Unit but it was months before up-to-date Training Manuels and Pamphlets including Pam 18 put in an appearance and not till Jun 1940, with the arrival of the two AIC Instructors, that we had the advantage of 1st class training. However, unabounded enthusiasm compendated for lack of technique. Backyard training several nights a week supplemented the usual official Parades. In the view of the role of the Unit the aim was efficiency for all personnel in the use of all weapons available to it. This was certainly attained by the great majority of the Volunteers. Thier standard of Education, Intelligence and Character qualified fully 75% of members as potential Officers. Of the survivors of the RABAUL Invasion and those at SALAMAUA and LAE fully that percentage held Commissioned Rank of varying degrees in one or other Army Branch of the Services at the termination of hostilities.

NGVR provided the Armed Escort for Enemy Aliens dispatched from the Territory in Sept 1939 for internment in Australia. The Unit provided similar escorts on two following occasions within the next few months.

Alternative Action Stations, to comply with the Units Role, were located at strategic points along the shores of Blanche Bay and several night exercises related thereto had been carried out by the end of 1940. Lack of Unit transport was overcome with the co-operation of various business firms and individuals, loaning trucks and utilities for the purpose. Similar facilities were made available to other detachments.

Schools for prospective NCO's to replace wastage caused by enlistment with AIF were held by all Detachments at regular intervals.

Goldfields Detachment carried out a forced night march in Battle Dress from Wau to Salamaua during Christmas 1940/41 in record time. The return trip was done by air.

Not to be outdone; Coastal Detachment shortly afterwards did the trip from Lae to Salamaua and return in one weekend. It is fitting that a tribute should be made to the practical and material assistance given to NGVR in tis earlier days by Inspector "Sandy" SINCLAIR who, at that time, was Drill Instructor to the New Guinea Native Constabulary at Rabaul. It was valuable material and greatly appreciated, particularly at times to a somewhat harrassed Adjutant. "Sandy" Sinclair later held the appointment of Officer in Charge of the Royal Papuan-New Guinea Constabulary at Bushitabu, Papua.

Early in 1941, the 2/22nd Infantry Battalion arrived at RABAUL and furthur NGVR Training was gradually merged with that of that Battalion. Only a few NGVR survived the war, they being Officers of the Unit. The rest of the NGVR were lost wen they were placed aboard the Japanese leased Liner - MONTEVIDEO MARU and were being taken back to Japan when an American submarine - USS Sturgeon - seeing the lone ship, with no escort, and thinking it was loaded with supplies for Japan, sank it. There were no survivors except for approx 20 crew who, making it to the Philipine Mainland were then killed by guerilla fighters. One Japanese survived to recall the incident years later.

Amongst those members of the NGVR who survived the Battle for Rabaul, Lae and Salamaua are -
NGX 458 Lt James Clarence ARCHER - (Later Assistant Secretary of the Territories Department, Canberra, ACT.
NGX 457 Lt Claude Geoffrey KILNER - (Adjutant, NGVR april 1941 to Capture of Rabaul)
NG 15 Rifleman Richard Edward Paul DWYER; (Later Director of Agriculture, Port Moresby PNG)
NGX 262 LtCol James Irwin CROMIE - (Adjutant NGVR fro a time after Japanese occupation of LAE and SALAMAUA and later Solicitor, Port Moresby, PNG.
VX 44906 LtCol Allan Gordon CAMERON - (Capt and Adjutant 2/22 Infantry Battalion and late of Phillip Island, Victoria)
NGX 455 Colonel William Manning EDWARDS - (OC Coastal Detachment, NGVR at occupation of LAE and SALAMAUA; He Escaped and served through to the end of the New Guinea Campaign.) Capt Carl GUNTHER - Medical Officer Bulolo Gold Dredging Company and OC C Company Wau, Bulolo, NGVR.

The summary of the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles was written by Mr C F Coady of the Australian War Memorial Canberra; (date unknown)

Anyone glancing at the Nominal Roll of the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles (NGVR) would be excused for thinking that Australia had maintained a Foreign Legion at its northern outposts in January 1942. Such names as Lars Waldamar Bergstrand; Carlo Lugarno Cavalieri; Bruno Chou Lai; Alistair Stuart Fraser-Fraser; Francisco Trojaolo and Hubert Behrendorff appear and are an indication of the cosmopolitan nature of the volunteer movement.
When Army Headquarters, on 4 Sept 1939, issued the necessary orders for the raising of this unit, men from Europe, British Isles, New Zealand, Australia and Asia, men who had their homes and livlihood in the Territory of New Guinea and were aware of the menace of Japan, hastened to join. Chan Kim Thai was a rifleman; Shui Hong, a Lieutenant.

Prior to the beginning of the war, Australia had scrupulously observed its undertakings to the League of Nations and had refrained from making any defence preparations in the Mandated Territory of New Guinea. In spite of the limitations imposed by the mandate, the Returned Soldier's League Sub-Branches took a vigorous lead in demanding that at least some effort should be made to arm and train those residents who wished to be better prepared to defend themselves and their homes. Colonel J. Walstab, the Police Superintendant at Rabaul, visited Melbourne in August 1939, and discussed the matter fully with Army HQ. Largely because of his efforts, it was decided to form a militia-type battalion in New Guinea.

Originally, the strength of the battalion was limited to 20 officers and 400 other ranks but the establishment was increased in Jun 1940 to 23 officers and 482 other ranks. The enthusiasm in the early days stemmed mainly from returned servismen of the 1914-18 War, but in mid-1941 the unit lost much of its zest, many of the youngest and most ardent members having gone to join the AIF and other services. The Remoteness of many areas was a disadvantage inherent in the unit's organisation. But, the the latter half of 1941, a growing realisation of the danger of war in the Pacific and the increasing peril of the Territory led to a revival of interest.

Headquarters of the NGVR was originally at Rabaul and companies and sections were located at Wau, Salamaua, Lae and Madang. Fit men between the ages of 18 and 50 were accepted. Enlistment was for two year periods and there was no pay except for an allowance of 1 Pound per year, made for each efficient member - an efficient member being one who put in 20 full days of training and who qualified in handling small arms. The standard of rifle shooting was very high. The first Commanding officer was Lt Col C. Ross Field, the Public Works Director at Rabaul and the Adjutant was Lt J J Mullaly.

The uniform consisted of khaki shirts and trousers, made up locally from material sent from Australia. The Army supplied felt hats, bandoliers and leather belts, boots and puttees. Brass NGVR shoulder badges were worn. Arms available for training consisted of rifles and some Vickers and Lewis machine guns. In mid-1940, two Army Instructional Corps instructors, WO2 (later Major) D H Umphelby and WO2 Barnard were sent up and brought the training more into line with current AMF practise.

With the arrival at Rabaul in April 1941 of Lark Force (2/22 Infantry Battalion plus components) NGVR's role became subsidiary and in August its Headquarters was transferred to Bulolo on the mainland. Colonel Field relinquished command, and Major (later Colonel) W H Edwards was promoted to command. One of most enthusiastic of the early volunteers, Edwards revitalized the unit on the goldfields of Bulolo and many new recruits came in. War with Japan was imminent and the strength of NGVR on the eve of the outbreak of war was 12 officers and 284 other ranks.

Immediatly Japan attacked, Maj Gen B M Morris, commanding the 8th Military District, was authorised to place the battalion on full-time duty, but only a small group was then called up and it was not until the 21st Jan 1942 that the battalion was actually mobilised.

The Japanese attacked Rabaul from the air on the 20th, and in the early hours of the 22nd effected a landing. When the Japanese came, seventy four members of NGVR were in Rabaul under the command of Lt Col H H Carr, the CO of the 2/22nd Battalion. They manned medium machine guns and mortars and fought until resistance was of no further avail, sharing the fate of other prisoners of war.

On the mainland, the NGVR was organised as a group of 'independant companies' (not to be confused with AIF companies of the same name, with whom the NGVR later operated) at Wau, Salamaua, Bulolo and Lae. On 21st January, at about noon, Coastwatcher Pursehouse reported from Finschhafen that some 60 Japanese aircraft were headed towards Lae and Salamaua. These divided and sruck simultaneously at the two towns. Systematically and efficiently the Japanese caused destruction and confusion at Lae. Seven civilian aircraft, which were on the ground when the Japanese arrived, were wrecked.

As the enemy planes flew away, two Australian Wirraways of 24 Squadron from Rabaul dropped down out of the clouds where they had remained concealed and landed on the airfield. Major E W Jenyns, 2IC of NGVR went to see the administrator, Sir Walter McNicoll, who had been working from Lae for some time in anticipation of the final transfer of the capital from Rabaul. Sir Walter agreed that a state of emergency existed and told Jenyns to 'take over'.

Five Japanese fighters, diverted from the main force, destroyed three Junkers at Bulolo but, turning east again before the reached Wau, missed five aircraft on the field there. At Salamaua, where Pursehouse's report had not been received, the raiders took the town completely by surprise. They destroyed one RAAF and 10 or 12 civil aircraft on the ground.

With the knowledge of the Japanese landing at Salamaua was imminent, and with the NGVR on full-time duty, there was a general agreement that all civilians should leave the town. This occurred on 24th January when two parties, onel ed by District Officer N Penglase and the other by the Director of District Services and Native Affairs, R Melrose, departed overland towardsthe Lakekamu River, and by sea, respectively.

After their departure, the only Europeans left in the town were six RAAF men, manning a signals station and six men of the NGVR. Meanwhile, other scratch NGVR platoons prepared to defend vital points in the area, with their headqarters at Mubo. A platoon which went ot Salamaua found the small group there in diffulties, due to local disorders. Lae now had a company strength of men.

On the 7th Mar 1942, five enemy aircraft raided Lae, which had been laid waste, and Capt H M Lyon, OC of the group, got word that a big convoy was headed in his direction. He himself satayed in the town with four men to await events while the rest of his men made for Nadzab, destroying on the way the one remaining petrol dump at Jacobsen's Plantation. At 4.45am on the 8th, the Japanese came ashore and Lyon,his men and three New Guinea natives turned thier backson the lost town and went up the main road towards Nadzab.

That same morning the Japanese landed at Salamaua, and the bulk of the NGVR platoon fell back across the Fransisco River, leaving behind a few men to demolish the aerodrome and fire the petrol dump. As Capt AG Cameron and his runner, L/Cpl Brannelly - two of a small party of 2/22 Battalion survivors - were falling back, Brannelly shot an enmey soldier at point blank range, probably the only Japanese casualty from land action in the landings at either Lae or Salamaua. After the rear party had crossed the bridge over the Francisco, and when the Japanese appeared on its approaches from the Salamaua side, the NGVR men destroyed it. Most of them then took the track back to Mubo.

The Japanese displayed no hurry to move inland. On 18th March, a party of sixty marched to Komiatum, destroyed the NGVR stores dump there and returned to Salamaua. On the Lae side, the invaders kept to the township area. This pause on the part of the enemy gave the New Guinea men time to meet new problems. These men of the NGVR were the only representatives of the law and order previously maintained by the administration.

With civil government gone, they assumed responsiblity for several thousand indentured labourers recruited from many outlying districts by planters and others, and now unable to returne to their homes. The NGVR established depots and fed them and they became the first of the army of carriers and labourers so vital to the Allies during the fighting that followed.

Colonel Edwards was most interested to know what the Japanese were doing in Salamaua, so Cpl (later Major) JB McAdam, with a party of six men, edged so close to the enemy that scarcely a Japanese movement escaped them - they scouted into the vert fringes of the garrison and only their superb bushcraft, hardiness and courage ensured their survival.

The Japanese knew they were there and on one occasion a searching party actually passed beneath the telephone line, but failed to see it. As the local people were being condemned for assisting the Australians, McAdam withdrew his men to avoid further trouble for them. Other posts of the same nature were established along the Markham and Heath's Plantation to watch the Japanese. Little the enemy did escaped the notice of the watchers.

The men of the NGVR had filled a large gap in the period up to late May - they had kept in touch with the invaders. On the 23rd of that month, the first troops to share their task arrived. Flown from Port Moresby to the Bulolo Valley, the 2/5 Independant Company AIF arrived to co-operate with the NGVR. These two units, plus some details from Port Moresby, a mortar platoon and a group of reinforcements for the widely dispersed No 1 Independant Company, formed Kanga Force, with the role of a 'limited offensive' and the object 'to harass and destroy enemy personnel and equipment in the Markham District (including Salamaua in that area).

Major NL Fleay, OC Kanga Force, considered there were 2000 Japanese at Lae and 250 at Salamaua, as against 700 men under his own command, of whom only 450 were fit for operations - a pitifully small number to meet any one of the possible Japanese threats. To forstall these, Fleay proposed to engage the Japanese by raids designed to inflict casualties, destroy equipment and to hamper their use of Lae and Salamaua as air bases. Accordingly, he issued orders for raids on Heath's Plantation and Salamaua and, as the need for action was urgent, directed that the one on Heath's was to take place first. As it transpired, however, the Salamaua raid was made first. It could be planned quickly and in great detail, as a result of the work of Cpl McAdam's scouts.

In the early hours of the morning of 29th Jun 1942, 71 members of the 2/5th Independant Company and the NGVR killed at least 100 Japanese at a cost of three men slightly wonded. The raid was an outstanding success and thoroughly disturbed the Japanese, who sent fighting patrols up to 90 strong into the foothills. The raid also made them draw on their garrison at Lae to reinforce their perimeter at Salamaua.

The raid on Heath's Plantation at Lae, equally well planned and carried out by 58 strongly armed men, was successfull, but barking watchdogs warned the enemy of the raiders' presence and the operation was robbed of the element of surprise that had been so valuable at Salamaua. In this raid, NX65838 Major T.P. KEEN was killed and two men wounded.

As a result of these guerilla raids, the men were in good spirits, although many of the NGVR were sick with fever and the number of fit men dwindles steadly. The most serious problem, however, was one of supply. Food was not getting through and, in the regard, the guerillas were totally delendant on the local supplies. Japanese air raids, intimidation tactics, and the difficulty of getting rations forward to feed carriers had a cumulative effect and threatened to stop any activity on the part of the Australians. The shortage of tobacco was a particularly irritating problem.

In the months that followed, attention was focussed on the Battle of the Owen Stanley's, but the NGVR continued to man post overlooking the Japanese although their numbers were shrinking. They fought splendidly, true to the tradition they themselves had established. 1942 was their year. By the early months of 1943, too few were left to be effective. In view of their specialised knowledge of the country and its problems, the remaining members were distributed throught ANGAU (Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit) and the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles lost its identity.

The members of the NGVR had come from many walks of life. Some were too old to join the AIF, some medically unfit or employed in restricted occupations. But they fought well and still found time for important administration and for laying down an organisation of local labour that later grew to be a most important contributory feature of the success of the Allied campaign in New Guinea.


Extracted from a copy of the Pacific Island Monthly - August 1940.

Up until 19 July 1940, the Mandated Territory of New Guinea had contributed not less than 90 men to the second quota for the Australian forces. Recruiting was brisk and quick all over the Territory and men came from the following districts: Rabaul 30; Morobe 32; Salamaua 12; Lorengau 2; Madang 7; Wewak 3 and Kavieng 4.
Among the 90 men who have been under canvas in Rabaul for a month, are the names of many well-known in the Territory. Unless otherwise stated, the men of the following list are Privates -

NGX77 ALLAN, James Hendrie.
NGX78 AMOORE, Reginald Hastings.
NGX79 ATKINSON, Stanley;

NGX48 BARRACLUFF, Joseph Thomas.
NGX66 BARRY, Noel Carson.
NGX126 BELL, Donald Joseph.
NGX144 BAILEY, Percival Francis.
NGX135 BLENCOWE, John Percival. NGX81 BLACKETT, Martin Edwin.
NGX82 BORRADALE, Bob Woodrow.
NGX138 BURSTON, Keith Wood.
NGX125 L/Cpl BUTTNER, William Edward Clyde.

NGX147 CAMERON, Robert Maitland Johnston.
NGX140 CHRISTIE, Eldred Leslie.
NGX83 CLARK, George Gordon.
NGX76 CLARKE, George Achille.
NGX121 L/Cpl CLARKE, Gordon Rupert Kennedy.
NGX74 CLAYTON, John Bathurst.
NGX133 CORLASS, Anthony Joseph.
NGX84 COUTTS, William Phillip.
NGX85 Sgt CRESSWELL, Arthur Herbert.

NGX86 DAVIS, Jack Atherton.
NGX70 DICKSON, Alexander Gerard.
NGX61 DOWSETT, James Harvey Hamilton McGregor.
NGX124 DRAYSON, Peter.

NGX127 FARNHAM, Sydney Grant.
NGX89 FELL, Robert Scott.

NGX90 GALWEY, John Trevor.
NGX123 GRAHAM, James Robert Vincent.
NGX142 GOW, Alan Flinders.

NGX91 HADLEY, Eric George.
NGX92 HALLIDAY, Howard Cameron.
NGX93 HAMMOND, Clive Louis.
NGX71 HARRISON, Albert Edward.
NGX132 HAWKE, Noel Percival.
NGX94 HONAN, Vincent James Redmond.
NGX63 HOUGHTON, James Roslyn.

NGX95 IRVINE, Donald Campbell.

NGX62 S/Sgt JACOBSEN, Francis Adelbert.
NGX129 JOHNSON, William Gordon.

NGX64 KOSSATZ, Archibald Charles Edward.

NGX96 LAMB, John Robert Arthur.
NGX97 LAPHAM, Alfred George.
NGX98 LEYDIN, Allan Timothy.
NGX99 LONERGAN, John Howard.
NGX100 LUMB, Harold.

MACLEAN, Donald Howell.
NGX67 McARTHUR, Charles Murray.
NGX72 McCARTHY, Leonard Frederick.
NGX146 McILWAIN, Robert Ivor.
NGX131 MEAD, Raymond Walter.
NGX137 MILLAR, Stewart Dowling.
NGX101 MOMSEN, Napier Clarence.

NGX102 O'FARRELL, Dermot Malachi.

NGX128 PARER, Benedict Mervyn.
NGX141 PASCOE, Ronald John.
NGX103 L/Cpl PASSLOW, William Ernest.
NGX104 PENMAN, William.
NGX149 PETERS, Rex Albert.
NGX105 PHILLIPS, Douglas Richard.
NGX106 PORTEUS, John Richard.

NGX107 ROBERTSON, William Menzies.
NGX108 Sgt ROGERS, Robert Walton.
NGX148 RYE, Charles Morley.

NGX143 SMEETON, Basil Leslie.
NGX109 SMITH, Frederick Howard.
NGX110 SMITH, Gordon Watson.
NGX111 SPANKIE, David Forbes.
NGX112 SPENCE, Edward.
NGX113 STAMPER, Lancelot.
NGX73 STOCK, Noel James.
NGX139 STOCKIE, Leslie John.

NGX40 THEOBOLD, William Henry.
NGX116 Cpl THOMAS, Frank Llewellyn.
NGX114 TILL, Edward Leonard Sidney.
NGX75 TWISS, Francis Dudley.

NGX150 WARRICK, Malcolm John.
NGX136 WASHINGTON, William Alder.
NGX117 Cpl WATKINS, Keith Charles.
NGX118 WILLIAMS, Donald Gilbert.
NGX69 WILSON, Francis Robert George
NGX119 WINTERFORD, Alfred Joseph.
NGX120 WYATT, Henry Thomas.

A NGVR/PNGVR Association exists for all ex-servicemen who served with the NGVR/PNGVR.

Please call or write to - The President, Mr Phillip AINSWORTH, PO Box 885, PARK RIDGE, QLD, AUSTRALIA 4125. 



I have compiled a Nominal Roll of Servicemen who served with the New Guinea Volunteer Rifles in the Australian Army during World War 2. It includes the New Guinea Native Servicemen who served and the Civilians who died on the Montevideo Maru and/or were executed by the Japanese at KAVING, NEW IRELAND in 1944

I have also compiled a Book that contains the Nominal Roll of all the Papuan Servicemen including the Papuan Native Servicemen who served during World War 2.

To purchase a copy of one or both of these books they cost Thirty Dollars ($30.00) EACH (includes postage and handling) to the address below to request the book OR You can request a CD copy of both on the same CD for same price (including postage and handling)

Please E-mail me first with your request and I will let you know where to send your remittance.



For more information please E-mail me




    The articles and information on this Web Site are copyright to John Winterbotham (Website owner) and cannot be used by any person unless otherwise stated and then can only be used for research purposes only.
  Site Map